- It has been estimated that Infertility affects between 48 million couples and 186 million individuals worldwide . Around 35% of all cases are caused by uterine dysfunction.
- Pregnancy complications and parturition. Preterm birth affects 10% of pregnancies, and preeclampsia (5%) causes the death of 3.6 million infants and 1 million mothers worldwide .
- Menopause affects all women (50% of the world population after 50 years of age).
- Uterine tumors are present in 70% of women worldwide .
- Uterine cancer affected 25.7 per 100,000 women between 2010-2014 . During 2021, the estimated number of new cases was 66,570 .
Clinical Relevance in Women’s Health Research
Dr. Simon is a reproductive endocrinologist with a lengthy career as a physician-scientist.
Among the world’s leading experts in reproductive biology, especially in human implantation, his research emphasizes the cross-communication between the maternal tissues and the embryo and the role of endometrial stem cells in the biology of reproduction.
His commitment to excellence in research has been demonstrated by the publication of over 500 papers (PubMed) in peer-reviewed journals with an accumulated impact factor of 3,814.94. His papers have received over 44,000 citations, and he has a Google Scholar H-index of 120. He has edited 21 books in English, Spanish, and Portuguese and supervised 38 Ph.D. theses. Several scientific societies and institutions have awarded his research, including the Rey Jaime I Medical Research Award 2011, the ASRM Distinguished Research Award in 2016, and the Lilly Foundation Biomedical Research Award in 2021.